POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Odd antialiasing behaviour : Re: Odd antialiasing behaviour Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd antialiasing behaviour
From: Micha Riser
Date: 2 Apr 2002 14:03:04
Message: <3caa0067@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Felix Wiemann <Fel### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
>> The huge difference is: With +a0.0 every pixel is sampled, with any
>> value above only pixels which differ to their neighbours are sampled.
>
>   Yes, but if the previous pixel was antialiased, its color will differ
> from the next pixel no matter where does the ray hit the plane in this
> next pixel. The color of the previous pixel is a mix between the light and
> dark colors of the plane, and thus is very different from either.
>   This would mean that if the pixel at the left of each row is
>   antialiased,
> all the pixels in that row should be antialiased as well (because each
> time a pixel is antialiased its color will differ radically from the next
> pixel regardless of where does the ray hit).

That's how method 1 works. Method 2 does not care about if the previous
pixel were supersampled or not, instead it just looks at the 4 corners. My
method 4/5 does as it also looks at the samples previously taken on the
pixels borders.

- Micha

--
objects.povworld.org - The POV-Ray Objects Collection
book.povworld.org    - The POV-Ray Book Project